Monday, January 4, 2010

Facing the music with music

Well I hit the road running this morning, actually walking. Ken, the drill Sargent, had me out walking in the total darkness this morning, it was cold and I questioned my sanity for the entire 3 miles. I told him Jason provided a much nicer backdrop yesterday, the Pacific Ocean complete with breakers and foam.
After the walk my steel cut oats were ready for me in the slow cooker. They were perfect, fluffy and warm.
I only worked briefly in the office before heading out to see properties. First it was Richmond. The cute little house was about 20 feet wide, had been updated inside and was charming in a sort of minimalist way. I was glad for a jacket as it was cold and foggy as I measured and inspected. I never could find access to the attic, what is it with these houses? They just box them in with no way into the attic yet FHA requires an inspection of the attic and I have to use my nifty new ladder that Ray and Lois provided.
Next stop was 104Th in Oakland. Now this is an area you really have to think about. The area includes the most heavily guarded and fortified McDonalds I have ever seen. Needing to use the bathroom today I found you had to be buzzed into the bathroom and then buzzed back out. Of course the buzzing system was broken. For the little house on 104Th there was a sign that promised a pit bull in the back yard and even the MLS printout stated that a guard dog was loose in the back yard. Well it was false advertising fortunately. The house had been fixed up and the attic welcomed my intrusion.
After Oakland one always lets out his breath having lived through yet another day in the trenches with the pimps and their $2,000 wheels on their cars, street people and downright bad thugs you try to avoid.
Next stop was Hayward and the GPS guided me to 8 comparables all located in the hills with huge sites. Finally it was time to punch the home button on the GPS and I glided home with little traffic. All day it had been bright sunshine and 60+ degrees but as the little bug crested Vasco Road a fog bank swirled about and the temperature dropped over 15 degrees as I finalized my trip home.
Starr and Lady were ready to greet me along with a notice from the IRS, can you guess what they want from me? Could it be something that is always in short supply?
I've spent the evening fixing something that a client wanted different than what I presented in the final version. So I spent an evening of free labor trying to make something work out for the buyer. I can only hope it flies and is helpful in the long run.
Now it is very near that wonderful time when I can put all the stress and strain of trying to hold it all together aside and sleep. I know why MBA is so cathartic, for a short time I can just forget the many acts I continually perform, balancing money, client needs, nutrition, rest, exercise, sanity and relax. I'm so glad I have a place to retreat, today I've been thinking of finding a life where I can live that way every day, not now, not sure how, but someday things will get better. God has been my constant holder of the umbrella that keeps the really terrible stuff from destroying me and I thank Him for all He has done. I long to love everyone I meet like He wants them loved, the kidos, my great kids, my tremendous friends and extended family. I want to be positive in your life, to help you. It remains my hearts desire.
So for now I send my imperfect love to each and every one of you. Someday I might even get my Christmas cards out!
love

Tim

No comments: