Saturday, January 16, 2010

Real preaching

Dear Family and Friends,
I always love to talk to Dana, seems I am very near to Nan during the call. Dana is a very special person and has always reached out to keep me close to the family. She called this afternoon and it was great to catch up with her adventures in baby sitting, her work cooking for a public school caf and her escapes to her gambling spot where she always wins. The most impressive thing to me is her heart, I really appreciate people who know how to genuinely love people and Dana is open, accepting and has a heart for her kidos, her kids and her family which just happens to be half of Texas I think. One can learn a lot from observing people and Dana has a heart of gold.

Ken and I walked this morning in the fog and cold and then I went to church. Arriving late I peeked through the door and observed Sylvia at work guiding the children in their Sabbath School learning. Then I slipped into an adult class catching the last part of the lesson. Loren does such a solid job of teaching!

Without the girls there I was free to attend the worship hour and it was a feast. I sat up near the front with Lloyd and Bernice White, good friends for the last 35 years. I enjoyed singing against her strong alto voice and Lloyd's beautiful bass voice. There was a baptism of two teen girls and the pastor did an outstanding job of that part of the service. I couldn't help but remember back over dozens of baptisms I had done over the 10 years I was the pastor. The 3 am trips to the church to start the hot water, to coax the heater into action, the times we did services in 55 degree temperatures, oh the times!

Sylvia led out as worship leader and once again demonstrated how capable she is at leadership. Her glowing heart of love for everyone just slips through her prayers, her comments and her leadership.

The pastor once again demonstrated why she never wastes your time when she speaks. She has a casual style that sneaks up and grabs you, with her selection of words, her stories, her use of up to date devices, PowerPoint etc. Her description of Jesus as our point man today was powerful and compelling. This lady brings you into the message and before you know it time has passed, images have been transferred and your heart has been touched. All I can say as one who has preached hundreds of sermons is Wow. She knows her stuff. I would urge you, if you've not heard or experienced the ministry of Jessica come visit Tracy SDA.

After the worship hour I had opportunity to spend a few minutes with Connie and Art and then Art and I had lunch. How good it was to see my friend and to learn that he is feeling better after his illness of the past week. What a great human being this guy is. Perfect, no way, not even close! But a great human being, another person who has this amazing heart of love for people, for family, for Connie. I feel so blessed to be in the presence of such a host of caring individuals.

This afternoon I got to talk with Joyce for a minute or two. She is on her mission of mercy visiting her kidos in San Diego. Unfortunately she came down with the flu that they all had last week. She was so ill that she could not fly home this evening but is going to extend her visit until she feels better. Yes she could have flown back but she didn't want to expose the people on the plane to her flu, there it is again, that heart of love for people. Is there a lesson to be learned about caring for people, about putting others first? Oh that more people knew these lessons in this old world we live in.

This afternoon I pulled out the blanket, stole two pieces of wood from Lois and Ray (don't report me, I confess) and turned on the great programing from Loma Linda on the satellite dish, watched their even song program and then this evening caught up on Bones and Mentalist, favorites of mine. For dinner I had one of those new very thin buns, very low in carbs with a Salisbury Steak on top and soup. Nice meal.

So now its off to bed after a very rewarding day filled with friends and special calls from Jason and Nikki as well. How I get to be so loved I don't know but I'm not fighting it, I'm loving it and it helps me deal with my poor appreciation of being alone. For those of you who are sometimes tempted, even dream of just being alone, well temper your dreams, its not all that great, its just empty.

Good night to one and all,

love

tim

No comments: