Wednesday, October 29, 2008

George Harty - a friend is lost

Dear Family and Friends,
Sylvia called this evening to let me know about the tragic loss of George Harty today. He appears to have died from natural causes. I have enjoyed the various times I have spent with George. He was a dedicated christian, good husband, father and loyal servant of our Lord. He will be missed and I understand how Gloria feels tonight, like someone just took all the light and hope away.

I've had a decent day with a safe trip to Sac, then down 80 to Martinez where the second home was located, then a quick trip home to deposit a check, then an even quicker trip to Antioch to pay the yearly MLS dues where were overdue. Upon arriving home I discovered a new order which is also COD and I'll pick up that check in the morning in Oakland. Just now I discovered yet another order for a local property and it too is COD. Thank you Lord for your blessings.

Sometimes I listen to Dr. Laura as I drive and I am amazed at how petty some spouses are when they call in with tiny little flaws they have discovered in their significant other, they are ready to file for divorce over the smallest issues. My favorite type call is when someone calls to complain about a parent or in law. Dr. Laura really sets people straight and gets to the real issues. I am amazed at the selfishness that pervades our society now. Me first, me me me. Our poor Heavenly Father, so burdened with our petty little problems when He just wants us to reach out and love one another, to treat others kindly and to be a support.

A couple nights ago the dogs were barking wildly which signalled to me someone was at the front door. I don't hear the door bell anymore. When I answered the door a young black man stood there and immediately started into a spiel to sell me something. I urged him to stop as I really was not in a position to purchase anything from anyone. He stopped and then totally startled me by asking, do you have a granola bar or anything I could have to eat, I've been working all day from door to door and I'm beat and hungry. I remembered I had one bar left in a box I had purchased to try them out so I ran and got it. The poor guy wolfed it down as he thanked me. Such a tiny thing. It seems we hardly ever get even a chance to help someone, we are so insulated from each other that we don't even know there is a need.

This morning the agent who met me at the house in Sac was a delight, Not only was she beautiful but even more important she had compassion. We talked of her husband's needs as he had just lost his auto sales business and of how challenging it was to make a living selling real estate in this market. I told her of Nan and of rebuilding life over the past 11 months and her eyes began to grow moist. She was a christian and encouraged me to look to eternity, that our best days were ahead. It was such a delight meeting her and having a moment of mutual encouragement. she had arrived at the inspection ready with records of recent sales in the area and timidly handed them to me, other appraisers have barked at her when she tried to offer assistance so she had learned to be very careful. Wonderful human behaviors pop up in the most unexpected places and she was one of them.

Good night my friends, this is proving to be an amazing week.

love

tim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tim,

You may have "entertained" an angel who was hungry and came to your door. We never know. Good for you to share your meager sustenance with a stranger. There will be many hungry people before too long. Business are already laying off employees to cut costs. What will become of the jobless people?

Our business is feeling the crunch. This week end we will have only 5 of 14 cottages filled. We're still doing ok, but we are also trying to keep our costs down. We just disconnected all the phones in the cottages. Most people have cell phones now, so it's not critical. We have a good supply of wood cut and spit for the winter. We'll be ok.

We had SNOW Tuesday! Can you believe it? We never get snow before at least the middle of November. We have had heavy frost every night this week. A snowy winter has been forecast. It has an early start.

Take care! We love you ~ Carol