Sunday, October 26, 2008

GIST fund raising walk a great success







Dear Family and Friends,
This morning Pam arrived about 8:30 and we had breakfast, then loaded the wheel chair into the van and started our journey to San Jose. We found the Almaden Lake Park without any trouble, signed in and began to talk to friends, fellow GISTers who we have enjoyed being with in the past. Although Irene thought there might be over 130 people there were actually well over 200 who attended and walked to raise funds for a cure for this dreaded disease. I was reminded once again of the daily challenges people with GIST face as we had lunch with a young mother who has two young boys and has already had to move from Gleevec to Sutent to control the tumors. She has had 6 surgeries already and faces more in the future.
Irene and her friend did a wonderful job of organizing the event and God cooperated with perfect weather. Before the actual walk began a researcher from Stanford spoke briefly about his efforts to find both treatments and an eventual cure for GIST. Irene led out in a brief ceremony paying tribute to 4 GISTers who had died in the past year and candles were lit and a moment of silence observed. The organizers had prepared a table with photos and a brief story of each of the four including a story about Nan. It was a very emotional moment as Irene mentioned each of the 4 people concluding with her comments about Nan and her legendary courage and spunk. It was an honor to hold a candle and remember the bravery and love of life exhibited by Nan through her 12 year battle with the disease.
Since Pam is only recently back on her feet after her fall in the shower and subsequent surgery she could not walk the three miles so I pushed her in the wheelchair.
I think everyone there was moved by the experience of the day. Irene did a really outstanding job and I'm sure thousands of dollars were raised to be eventually donated directly to the researchers who daily pursue the cure in Portland, Houston, New York, Stanford and Boston.
I've included several photos I took of the crowd. The lady in the dark hair is Irene and in the one photo which has a man speaking if to look to the right in the photo you will see the display mentioning Nan.
During the day I was happy to hear from Jason and Timothy and later from Nikki.
I have another loaf of bread baking now as this evening I made eggs and finished up the last piece of toast.
Several new orders were faxed in today. They are the ones I expected from last week so I'm seeing a couple tomorrow and then will be back in Discovery Bay to pick up Keanna from school at 2 pm. That will be the high point of the day for me.
I went to bed last night right after Irene's loaf of bread finished baking, 12:15 and woke at 4 this morning and could not get back to sleep. I'm hoping for better sleep tonight but Ken and I are walking at 6:30 in the morning.
On a different subject Barbara Lammerding called this evening to just check in. She gave me a full report on their most recent trip, one to Australia and New Zealand with Tahati too. They really enjoyed themselves but are very glad to be home once again.
So for now I'm extending a very warm good night to all, seeking your prayers yet again for God to work his financial magic. I still need about $3,000 or so before Friday, God did great things last week and I await His directions for this week.
Sending love to all,
tim

No comments: