Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What a great season, fall.








Dear Family and Friends,
The weather is so friendly now, not too hot nor too cold, just right. Our walk in the early morning is not only dark but chilly, then comes dawn and eventually the warming of the sun as it moves into command of the day.

This morning I took time to pick tomatoes and what a harvest. They taste perfect especially the little cherry ones, just right for the eating at the vine. Even Starr wanted to try one. Breakfast was oatmeal, very ripe banana, two pieces of vege bacon, all so good. Then it was time to work and after a little row with the bank I decided it was time to get out into the field. So taking the already researched files I proceeded to do three local inspections. You got to know times have changed when the first house is selling for $129,000, the second for $134,000 and the last one, a 2,200 SF beauty in a beautiful new development is going out at $305,000. These are bargain prices, just amazing and there are dozens more in each of these markets waiting for buyers at these excellent prices. Let me share this, they are very easy to appraise at those prices which is a nice change. All day I looked forward to dinner out this evening. Nikki had proposed it earlier as we did not have a chance to have our normal lunch on Saturday. She was heavily involved in the twins sale all day. So this evening we drove to Tracy and had a nice quiet dinner. I've discovered they offer whole wheat pasta at Olive Garden. I'd like to tell you that it is just as good, well not really but it was not bad and along with a huge salad the meal was probably pretty healthy. To save money Nikki and I both settled for water with a lemon. I've included some photos we took at dinner and just before dinner. The clear ones that are visible are ones Nikki took.
After we returned to the Shipley home I then headed to Brentwood where a check was waiting for one of the homes I inspected today. In these times checks are like drops of blood, very vital to keep going, the business alive! Thank you Lord for checks. Tomorrow I must talk to the IRS in anticipation of the call I have to make to them on the 10th. I'm trying to pull everything together so an agreement can be made for monthly payments with the kind folks at the IRS. It will be another important step in getting a handle on the splintered finances I have been attempting to work with for the past 10 months.
There is a local business person who has been very helpful to me (us) for the past few years. Jerry Becker owns the Mortgage Market, a very respected company with several offices and has given our company appraisal work for the past 20 years or so. He consistently pays his bills, is honest and fair to everyone involved in the business and has been a great help to me in the past year. These are hard times and people like Jerry survive them because they take care of people year after year in a fair and honest manner treating them with respect.
As we speak Art and Connie are in the air returning from Hawaii. They will arrive sometime tomorrow and will be very tired. They have had a wonderful trip including a tour of a sugar cane plantation today. I'll be glad to have them back safe and sound.
One of my newer clients in on a sad mission this evening. Her father is in very poor health, in the hospital actually and she has had to leave her business and fly to the south to be with him. Her name is Linda and she and her day need our prayers tonight.
On the 26th of this month a GIST walk will be held in San Jose to generate funds for GIST research. Every dollar raised in this walk will go directly to the research departments of the various GIST centers in Portland, New York, Boston. I have been asked to speak to the group that will be there on the night before at a special dinner. While I'm honored to be asked by Irene I'm considering if this is something I can be of assistance to. I feel like there are many more inspiring speakers on the subject so I will ask God of His guidance in my decision. I would like to invite any of you who live near or far to come walk for the cure. Nan once flew to New York and walked with her walker the 3 miles around a little lake and thanks to your generosity raised nearly $10,000 that year. I will be linking the website about the walk in the coming days and where donations can be sent for those wishing to help in this very special cause, dear to the hearts of this family. If any one you would like to fly in I can meet you at the airport, I have guest rooms for you, something to consider. A nice weekend in California with cool weather, great people and a worthwhile cause.
So its time to sign off,
Sending love to all
Tim

No comments: