Friday, October 17, 2008

The girls are finally asleep

Dear Family and Friends,
As I write at about 10 pm both girls have fallen asleep. Kallie played in a device that lets a baby sit up and touch and play with attached toys which surround her, then when I had Keanna fed I turned my full attention to her. It was then that she became very upset, crying loudly and refusing to take her bottle. I knew she needed to drink the bottle before falling asleep but I was not sure what was wrong. Keanna was great about distracting her for brief moments. Finally I stood up and she stopped crying, then we walked to the stairs and up to her room. By the time we reached the guest room the aroma was pretty strong. So I tempted fate and changed a very "special" diaper. Introduce a tiny bit of food into a baby's diet and the odors begin. After her diaper was changed she calmed right down, too her bottle and finally fell asleep. By then Keanna had decided that some peaches would be good in addition to the ton of pasta and green beans she had already eaten. After downing the majority of the can of peaches she finally decided it was time to go to bed. Its not easy to get a shirt or night gown over the huge cast sort of wrap that is around her little arm but after three trys and some tears we did it. After a story and prayer Keanna fell into a deep sleep.
We spent some time with plastic magnetic letters on the compactor. Keanna spelled word after word by sounding out the letters. It was a fun exercise and she seems pretty bright and quick.
Today I cared for the girls at 6:30 and took them to school at 8:30, then came home, showered and drove to Moraga where I inspected a very interesting home. Built at the end of a very long and narrow but paved road this home with 4,700 SF is built on a steep hill and has views on all sides. It has 5 bedrooms and about that many bathrooms, multi levels and in good condition overall. Of course there were many decks affording views of hills, distant cities and a huge blue sky. Finding comparables was a bit of a challenge as was measuring this monster but a little patience and it was done. The next home was small and in the outskirts of Walnut Creek. It is older and poorly kept but still have pretty good value since it is located so near downtown Walnut Creek. Then with check in hand I headed home using back roads. Upon arriving home I discovered to my glee that there was another check in the mail. With deposit slip and two checks in hand I headed to the bank where the teller was all smiles and reported I had a positive balance for a change.
This has been some week with many blessed moments, some pretty awful ones and mostly just survival ones. The nicest moments involve people, especially the kids and their kids. Art has been such a friend this week with his many encouraging phone calls and steady advice.
So for now I'm relieved it is the Sabbath, that my precious little charges are resting and that I can be of assistance to my family in this way. Its a dream come true only I never thought I would be carrying out this dream by myself.
Love to all,

Tim

No comments: