Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Another day and the mail delivers

Dear Family and Friends,
The mail was finally kind to me today. Combined with the fee I collected at my 10 am appointment here in Discovery Bay I received almost enough to pay the house payment. What a huge blessing. I am grateful.
This morning at the inspection here in Discovery Bay I noticed something that rarely happens. When I was measuring the huge U-dock and admiring a handsome yacht moored there I happened to look at the water, it was totally still and looked like black ink. Almost always there is some ripple on the surface of the lake and other bodies of water here in the development but it was so still.
This afternoon I was honored to pick up Keanna after her gymnastics camp let out. We discussed what to do first and she eventually settled on McDonalds and then home to watch some Clifford the Big Red Dog on the DVR. She went through a jello and a popcorn and then we drove back to the fitness club where her mother was doing kick boxing, beware of Nikki, she is lethal. Keanna went to their play area and I went to work on the machines. I knocked off after friend insisted that working out and a fever really was not a good idea.
Now this evening I'm back home and heading for bed early. I have to be a Nikki and Steve's in the morning at 6:50 since Steve has a side job and the kidos need care when they wake up. It will be fun. After I am finished with getting them to their respective places for the day then I'll drive to Stockton to do a quick inspection and perhaps see a condo in Mountain House.
I am humbled by the manner in which work arrives. At just the moment when it looks like I've caught up and there is no more work to do, something else arrives, often from a source I don't even know.
These are trying times for our business. The feds announced today that the starts of new homes is at its lowest point ever since records have been kept. Don't they get it in Washington? People cannot and will not purchase homes when their own income is so iffy. Washington cannot produce enough jobs to employ America. It has to be small business and loading us up with tax after tax just makes us more determined to NOT hire anyone. If instead of the poorly planned stimulus package that at best hires people for a very short term, the government would have given everyone a payroll holiday on their deductions, lowered the tax burden for those who actually hire people and helped create a friendly environment for people who are willing to take a chance on new ideas the economy would be in a much better place by now. No government has ever spent its way out of a recession, Japan tried and has suffered years later for its efforts, Germany is doing much better than we are and they resisted the huge government spending ideas opting instead for ways to encourage small businesses. France also resisted huge spending by the government. Americans do their best when they are free, not loaded down by worry about huge new taxes, not swamped by government regulations or the idiotic cap and trade ideas.
I fear it will take new people in office with ideas that work, people who have run businesses, who have had to work for a living and know how to produce, people like that are needed in Washington. There are very few people in the White House that have ever had to meet a payroll, to cope with the challenges of running a business and it shows by the endless drivel that comes on a day by day basis from Gibbs.
I just hope American can hold out long enough before there is a huge housecleaning, before people who believe in America, who think we are actually a good people, that know America is special, who remember all that America has done to free the world, the hundreds of thousands who have died defending England, freeing France, pushing back Hitler. I read with interest an email that came through today, about the population centers that voted in the last election, about the numbers of people who were on public assistance compared to the areas where the majority of the people actually hold jobs and pay their own way, then take a look at how they voted. Lets just say the present president was elected by huge numbers of people who rely on government. And now that number is growing fast again. What happened to welfare reform under Clinton? Its all gone now, forgotten as the mass looks to the government for their hope instead of to themselves.
I find it amusing how today Democrats are crying out about the hate messages. What do they really expect when they break every norm of decency, do they think they will be loved? There is never an excuse for violence but I seem to remember some very hateful things repeated over and over during the Bush years even by the leaders of the democratic party but of course those didn't get any play since the press and democrats are pretty closely aligned. Actions have consequences, when you ignore the American people who 2 to 1 did not want this bill, do they think people are just going to get over it, forget it?
It is an interesting time and I just hope American can hold on a bit longer, resist the explosion of government as it creeps into every facet of our lives.
America has been very good to me and whenever I have traveled out of the country I always have a very emotional time when I touch down or step ashore after being anywhere else. This is my country and I'm proud of her.
So take care this evening, love those around you, touch people, hug often and plan to vote soon.

Love to all,

Tim

No comments: