Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Musical Feast

Just back from the an evening with the Stockton Symphony and it was incredible. How long has it been since you spent an evening immersed in the power and majesty of a full orchestra? Find one near you and go, you will not be sorry. What a difference between listening to a CD or evening watch a DVD of a concert and being there live.
This evening my friend and I enjoyed the world premiere of Fanfare for Brass Ensemble, op 102. It was loud, almost atonal and very exciting, just lasted 4 minutes. Then it was Shostakovich and Cello Concerto No. 1 in E-flat major, op. 107. The guest cellist was in his 20s and from the bay area. He was incredible and the music was very complicated and modern. Then came the Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 5 in E minor, op 64. This Russian composer created a piece of work that was exciting, powerful, melodic and intricate. For those of you who think you might drift off to sleep if you went to hear an orchestra, well I doubt many people slept much during this exciting number.
The conductor is Peter Jaffe and he gave a short lecture at 7:30 explaining in depth what we would be hearing in the concert. He is funny, a perfect public speaker and very good pianist as well.
All in all it was an enchanted evening and the evening along with having the opportunity to have Keanna visit this afternoon has made for a high day.
This morning I raced off early for Lodi where I inspected a home for Chevy Chase Bank. Then I raced back so I could be at the school at 11:40 when Keanna was released. I made it with time to spare and was glad to see her. We visited McDonalds and then picked up her bike at her house. We ate our lunches in her park, drove to my house, biked and hiked to my park where she played some more.
We came back home where she took care of herself and I went to work to create the report for the home that I had inspected this morning.
Now I'm very ready for bed since it is turning midnight. I'll just say this, magic is good.

love

tim

No comments: